Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A bit of a mix...


A Brisbane man cut off his 8 week old American Staffy pup's ears in an attempt to make the dog look "tougher", back in 2007. No pain relief or sedation. The maximum penalty so the news reports state is a $75,000 fine and 2 years imprisonment.

I see many acts of animal cruelty reported on television and in the newspapers. Another case not long ago of a teenage boy also from Brisbane who kicked a kitten to death after it approached him. His sentence was overturned as his lawyer argued "his client was severely punished when compared to six Townsville-based soldiers escaped jail who escaped jail in 2004 after pleading guilty to setting a litter of three-week-old stray kittens on fire before running them over."

I do believe tougher penalties need to stand. These animals don't have voices and are totally dependant on us to care for them, just like an innocent child is. No person or animal deserves abuse.

However with all the horror and cruelty in there world there is also such beauty and kindness. It amazes me as I research these acts of cruelty, the stories that I find about the people that help these creatures in these situations. All their time and effort and every dollar they have to save helpless animals.

I guess I don't really want this post to be a negative about the lack of strict penalties that get handed down in Australia against animal abuse, (which is totally true, but I don't want all my posts to be negative) but more a post so say Thank you to those volunteers and workers that dedicate their lives to helping those who don't have a voice, like the people that are acting as foster parents for this little pup with no ears. He was taken from a cruel owner to live the rest of his life with a family that will love and respect him.
So today or tomorrow, spread some love to the animal community. .
If its a cuddle to a companion, a pat to a dog walking down the street or just watching and appreciating the native wildlife around you. Trust me it will make you feel glowing inside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cruelty of mankind never suprises me Victoria... but what a gorgeous staffy...

The male youth I work with often tell me how to 'train' Chelsea...all of their methods cruel..but it is what is taught them, what they see around them.

Im glad he got saved, I agree there are so many good people out there but it must be so heartbreaking a job...make the penalties stiffer and enforce them I say...

I have no compassion for those who are cruel to animals

Anonymous said...

hi my lovely girl, love what you are doing...you have such a beautiful heart. It breaks your heart to see how inhumane people can be, but then warms it to see that there are kind caring people around. On my walk today I got nose to beak almost with a lovely little fairy wren, just like the little wrn in your picture, how lucky i felt, how wonderful nature is xxxx mum

Robert said...

Cases of mans inhumanity towards animals are an ongoing issue - and take on many guises. The stories need to be told though, or it will just be quietly "swept under the carpet". Life isnt always roses - there are warts as well.

pita-woman said...

I'm guilty of having our first two danes ears cropped, but have since given up this look for the natural floppiness.
I think I feel a blog of my own coming on this topic...