Monday, July 14, 2008

Factory Farms

Taken from animalsaustralia.org "It's commonly accepted that a Pig has the intelligence of a 3 year old.

Most Australians are appalled by animal cruelty. This is why Animals Australia has launched an unprecedented radio campaign, ‘Lucy Speaks’, to alert caring consumers to the truth about how over 90% of pork, bacon and ham is produced in this country.

Pigs are social and affectionate animals. They experience fear, pain and many emotions, not unlike the family pet. Yet most pigs raised in Australia are confined in factory farms, where they are denied any quality of life. What they are forced to endure in the name of profit would be illegal if they were instead a dog or cat.

Despite advances overseas, Australian laws still allow a pregnant pig to be confined in a ‘sow stall’—a barren metal cage barely bigger than her own body. She is unable even to turn around. Trapped in a cycle of suffering, she is forced to give birth on a hard concrete floor; denied the ability to nurture her young; and will be continually impregnated until her body can no longer physically cope. Her piglets are subjected to painful surgical procedures—without anaesthetic. Procedures include piglets have their teeth cut and tails cut off without anaesthetic—an excruciating procedure which can provoke vomiting, trembling and leg shaking.
Male piglets are routinely castrated without pain relief.



Unlike ‘cage’ eggs there is no product labelling on Australian (or imported) factory-farmed pork, bacon and ham products to warn caring consumers."

If this upsets you or you want to find out what you can to help, click here. Me? From today on, no more pig produts AT ALL unless I buy them for a butcher and I know it is free range pork. That is hard to find in Brisbane city so no pig products for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article is so true Vic, I remember we raised pigs like this at school in the Ag plot exactly like this... Imagine how it must be at this scale.... My work kids eat ham, bacon and roast pork like there is no tomorrow....

Ok chick, I'll join you, and I know MG will be on board... No more pork... I rarely eat it but i do eat ham at work...Bell and I are steadily eating more grains and lentils and less meat but more for nutritional reasons and trying new things....

Josef father left him a book on cattle and the abuse of animals...I will see if I can find it... god read that and you will never eat an animal again. Just the environmental cost to produce any animal products is incredible. The fact that we consume so many is mind boggling... then their is the cost to the animal due to inhumane breeding...grrrrr

thanks for the link, Im there...x

victoria said...

Ah thank you so much for your support Abz. It is such a tough situation, all of this. It's hard for me because being brought up on meat im finding it hard to adjust to not eating meat. I'll just forget and buy some ravioli for lunch. I would like to not eat meat all together but it will take time I guess.

Oh that is interesting about sef's dad. I know he loved the environment, did he care for animals a lot too? I guess they go hand in hand.

All this is mind boggling but I do this posts to show people whats going on like even my own mum didn't realise the cruelty that goes on.
Thanks again abz! x

Vickie said...

Thank you for your passion on this subject. I consider all animals and birds my spiritual friends and neighbors. The abuse of chickens, pigs, horses (pharmaceuticals and dogfood) and others does not speak well for humanity. I'm grateful for everyone who challenges abuse in our world in whatever way they can.

pita-woman said...

It boggles the mind that humans even come up with these "ideas" (if you want to call it that) to raise animals in these cages, mass-producing, in cramped quarters. Whatever happened to the country farmer that allowed his animals to graze in the pasture, then eventually taken to market?
---
So I have to ask, what is the purpose of cutting their teeth?