Thursday, July 31, 2008

beauty


GORGEOUS photo. I LOVE Belugas
Story from National Geographic website.

"Hamada, Japan, July 26, 2008—A beluga whale blows bubbles at an aquarium in Japan to the delight of visitors who have come by the thousands to view the spectacle.

The whale is one of three that learned the trick from scuba divers, who give the whales breaths from regulators to enable the whales to blow the bubbles.

The beluga is native to Arctic waters and considered a vulnerable by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature. Conservationists are petitioning the U.S. government to list an Alaskan population as endangered."
Getty Images

3 comments:

Indigo-Daisy said...

If that isn't one of the coolest things I have ever seen! He actually learned how to blow bubbles! You just don't think of creatures besides domestic animals like dogs or cats as being able to learn things. Not that I didn't think they could, just never thought of it.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

That is so cool! Belugas are so adorable!

pita-woman said...

They've always reminded me of over-sized white dolphins.
Of all the whale documentaries I've seen on tv, I don't think I've ever seen one dedicated to this particular whale. It isn't one you hear much about.