Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Priceless

I purchased this book recently, Priceless - the vanishing beauty of a fragile planet, once of the best purchases I have ever made. The book, by Bradley Trevor Greive, which you may know from The Blue Day Book, which was highly popular.

This book, combined with stunning photographs from wildlife photographer Mitsuaki Iwago, has passages which really touched me. Breif and simple, it talks about the beauty of all animals, and the impact the daily lives of humans are having against their population.

It really touched me this book and im now 100% sure that this is something I am going to work towards my whole life. Conservation.
http://www.tarongafoundation.org/ is the foundation in which the book suports, which is part of Taronga Zoo and Western Plains Zoo Australia. Together, these zoo's are working hard towards education people about animals and working hard on the reproduction of endangered animals and releasing them into the wild.

You may think, when does this ever happen, zoo's are cruel?! Well, all people that care about animals one day hope to have a world without zoo's, where animals can live in harmony with humans and we do not have to have them in enclosures to ensure their species stay alive for centuries to come. A sucess story which I learned about in Priceless, is of the The Przewalski’s Horse.
The Przewalski’s Horse is the last relative of the wild horse, In May 1995, Western Plains Zoo reintroduced seven Przewalski Horses to Mongolia's Gobi Desert where they were last found in the wild. The Zoo is a proud partner in the continuing world wide captive breeding program which manages over one thousand horses. This is great news that they can be reintroduced to the wild!

Anyway, this book means a lot to me and it has stunning pictures which I now have on display in my house, they never fail to make me smile. If your interested in animal conservation, please visit http://www.tarongafoundation.org/ - This is one of my fave shots from the book...






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea Chick..sounds a great book...

ps, love a girl with a mission...x

victoria said...

thanks abz, always love your comments xo

Indigo-Daisy said...

Oh how I loved the Blue Day Book. Will have to check this one out too. Loved the shot you posted, simply beautiful!