Friday, August 15, 2008

tiny


Bristol, United Kingdom, August 12, 2008—A curator at Bristol Zoo Gardens holds a recently hatched Chinese box turtle, which weighs a half ounce (15 grams) and is about 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) long.

"It is doing very well, eating plenty, and growing stronger every day," Tim Skeleton, curator of reptiles, said in a statement.

The sociable turtles, listed as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), are hunted for their meat, medicinal uses, and the pet trade.
Story from national geographic.com

3 comments:

Indigo-Daisy said...

He is adorable

pita-woman said...

What a cutey! I love turtles.
But you almost make me feel guilty for the pet turtle I used to have. I caught him (called him "J.D.") in a lake as a teenager, and had him for probably 4 or 5 years (not as long as a turtle should live, I know). He'd always poke his head up out of the water when he saw me coming to feed him.

victoria said...

if you loved him and cared for him peta, im sure it was fine. it sounds like he liked you anyway if he popped his head out!!
as long as u didnt eat him hehe